Blogs from 2011
End of day today, July 15, 2011, marks the close of entries for the Aspiring Author’s Contest. If you haven’t sent your manuscript yet, please don’t send me an unfinished version of it—I’ll undoubtedly have another of these contests sometime, and there are other contests which you can hunt down using Google.
What I have found, in reading the entries so far, is that it is incredibly difficult to judge a contest like this. I constantly feel as if I am comparing mangos to papayas, or sports cars to diamonds. For one thing, I have received a huge inundation of manuscripts; many, many more than I expected, for a target audience of middle-grade to YA to adult, from authors in their mid-teens to their fifty-somethings, from countries from Australia to the United Kingdom to Egypt.
Also, in the last couple of days I've received approximately fifteen new entries. As you may already have read, I have a lot going on right now: professionally, medically, and personally. It’s going to take a while to read these entries and compare them to the ones that have come before. I thank you in advance for your patience.
You know, I really wish I had the resources, the time and money, to get every manuscript that I got a glimpse of edited. In fact, I’d like to line edit at least the sample pages from each book myself. I found that every single entry I read had merit and deserved to have the chance to be published. But what I have to do is to find the one manuscript that can benefit the most from what the editing or manuscript proofing at Scribendi has to offer. Or maybe the two manuscripts—this contest might end in a tie.
In any case, I would like to thank each one of the authors who sent me pages from their books. It has been an amazing experience. I am especially astonished at how young some of you writers are, who have finished a complete book and be working on the sequel while still in your mid-teens.
It’s been a privilege and an honor to read them! Watch this page and also on the Contest page for the results of the Aspiring Author’s Contest.
- New Rule for the Aspiring Author's Contest
- Winners of the Midnight Jewel Box Contest
- You Might Take a Moment and Think . . .
- Just Some Random Thoughts
- Secret Circle TV Show News
- Winner of Commercial Contest!
- Spot the Commercial!
- Everything and the Kitchen Sink
- Just a reminder . . .
- Midnight Debuts on the Wall Street Journal
- Midnight and The Master Key Contest
- Some Unexpected and Unwelcome News
- Update on Black Rose Contest!
- Brit Robertson in Secret Circle/ Paws 4 a Cause
- Thank You But Don't Boycott
- Updated Blog of Many Things
- Of Contests, TV Shows, and Many Things
- Dedicated to Ms. Gillette and Her Class
- The Results of Cassie's Unicorn Egg Contest